Monday, April 29, 2013

Moving from NM to CO - Time to Change Gear

I am finally relocating with my job from Rio Rancho, NM to Colorado.  Here's a picture from where we'll be residing shortly - you can see the moon setting behind Pikes Peak.


It's such a pretty part of the country throughout the entire area.  However, despite how calm and quiet it appears to be, the span from Colorado Springs to Denver and surrounding areas happens to carry a massive light dome, as you can see from the next image..

 
We're leasing a place for the first 12 months while we look around further.  However, we're hoping to aim for the yellow/green zoned areas between Colorado Springs and Denver, i.e. something around Castle Rock or Larkspur, etc.  Unfortunately this area is growing fast and it's likely to change shades soon. 
 
I have been waiting for a while now to replace my main imaging gear as we were uncertain if we were actually going to relocate, and where specifically that would be.  Now that I know the details, I'm going to have to change my imaging gear from OSC (One Shot Color) imaging that I've done for the last 7 years to narrowband imaging.  This requires completely different processing techniques and camera gear to be effective in this much light pollution, which of course affects choices on optics to match it. 
 
I'll post details on the new setup once I've settled on the solution I want to build.  The big move is in 4 weeks.

No comments: